Troubled with bloated font files in your app? Try this to reduce the file size by removing not used letters
I did the following to remove all Cyrillic glyphs (letters) from a font, hence cutting file size in half as I only needed the Latin letters.
- get FontForge at https://fontforge.github.io
- start FontForge and open your Truetype font file
- Edit -> Select -> Select By Script
- on the pop up selection window chose Cyrillic from the drop down menu. As you might have guessed this will mark only the Cyrillic letters.
- Encoding -> Detach & Remove Glyphs, confirm the question. See how the Cyrillic letters disappear?
- Encoding -> Compact to get a better overview of the remaining letters which makes it easier to select more deleting candidates. (But I did not dare to manually delete/remove them.)
- File -> Generate Fonts and don’t forget to chose ttf as output format.
Please consider that I am not a pro in this. But I needed a fast solution.
Here you can read more on this topic: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Create_a_new_TrueType_font_using_a_subset_of_characters_from_an_existing_TrueType_font